Sunday, July 03, 2011

Sign of times in the sands of time

Not that I aimed to blog regularly when I started to blog. Given my inherent nature, rather distaste to stick to a 'routine', it would be indeed shocking if my posts were 'regular' and on 'selected' topics. I guess since my return to Chennai, I have been preoccupied with lot other mundane or rather mechanical events of life. To summarize on things that happened since my last post, I am inclined to think that we are well and truly in the stage of post-postmodernism, rather pseudo modernism.
triteness and shallowness resulting from the instantaneous, direct, and superficial participation in culture made possible by the internet, mobile phones, interactive television and similar means: “In pseudo-modernism one phones, clicks, presses, surfs, chooses, moves, downloads.”
I should add - I personally find it disgusting where people's beliefs are being fed into and Goebbel's truth is being institutionalized.

Postmodernism is apparently a 'narrative' where apparent realities are only social constructs, as they are subject to change inherent to time and place. I never knew what these 'modernism', 'post modernism', 'post postmodernism' etc are and in fact I instinctively detested 'ism's. Now reading about them, they look to be like an exercise of giving some name to trends. I think the next trend has to be or is already a phase where people will look out for 'quick solutions' (click, move press etc) and there will be lot of p...s, I mean providers to pander, I mean cater to these 'services'. The tragedy of it is that I have to witness it in real time :( With the likes of Anna Hazare, Baba Ramdev and Goebbels of spectrum etc, we are truly well set, if not already into it.

Mount Vishnu of Mount Road extols further
Prime Minister Manmohan Singh fields questions when he travels abroad but has held only two press conferences and two interactions with editors in Delhi in the past seven years. As for interviews, he has allowed himself to be questioned by an Indian newspaper only once and never by an Indian news channel. Congress president Sonia Gandhi, too, has not really been heard from at close quarters except for the briefest of triumphal soundbites just after the Rajya Sabha passed the Women's Reservation Bill. These are extraordinary facts by any yardstick.

You should not only govern, but most importantly seen and heard to govern. To sound like Krugman, it is hard NOT to be cynical.

No comments: